SVI performed an inspection of secondary stock surge chest equipment and found it mostly in good condition, with some hollow-sound tiles and active leaks that needed repair.
What Did the Stock Surge Chest Repairs Inspection Find?
Inside, a visual and physical inspection of a secondary stock surge chest equipment at a plant at Westrock in Roanoke Rapids, NC, found the wall’s lining condition was well bonded and found the glaze in good condition. However, the portland cement joints were hard and recessed to ⅛” to ¼” deep.
Overall, the floor’s lining was hard and well bonded, but five spalled tiles were in the middle of the floor. The glaze remained in good condition. However, the portland cement joints were hard and recessed to ⅛” to ¼” deep.
The inspectors found the concrete ceiling in good condition.
During the exterior inspection, the tile was hard and well bonded, with some exceptions. The inspectors found:
- 19 hollow-sounds titles on the northeast corner,
- 18 hollow-sounding tiles on the 10th course north wall
- Four more hollow-sounding titles in course 10 of the north wall,
- 12-hollow sounding tiles on course 10 of the west wall,
- A horizontal crack 5 inches long on course 10 of the west wall,
- An active leak on the bottom of the west wall on course 10,
- Three active leaks on the north wall at the bottom of the 10th course.
- The glaze was in good condition, and the portland cement joints were hard and full.
The concrete foundation remained in good condition. The inspectors were unable to access the concrete cover while on site.
What Stock Surge Chest Repair Solutions Were Offered?
SVI installed a new 30” manway. SVI pumped the four active leaks on the exterior walls.
Moving forward, SVI recommended ongoing monitoring of the recessed joints throughout all the interior walls and on the floor. The 53-hollow sounding tiles on the exterior wall only need monitoring at this time. SVI recommended scheduling a re-inspection of this vessel during the 2021 outage.
Does your Stock Surge Chest need repair? Contact SVI industrial today for a personalized inspection of your facilities and repairs tailored to your needs.